English for Specific Purposes Programme
English for Specific Purposes (ESP) is a learner-centered approach to teaching English as an additional language, which focuses on developing communicative competence in a specific discipline such as academics, accounting, agrology, business, IT, teaching, and engineering. Students are also exposed to workplace or academic culture and real world communication practice.
ESP programs differ from general English language courses and contain the following characteristics:
- Designed to meet the specific needs of the learners.
- Related in content (themes and topics) to particular disciplines or occupations.
- Use authentic work-specific documents and materials.
- Promote cultural awareness and seeks to improve intercultural competency.
- Deliver intermediate and advanced level language training.